Saturday, February 9, 2008

Cooking for the Family, Maxim, Mountain Biking, and Carnivales








We had a great week which included cooking a meal for our host family. It turned out to be very difficult due to the size of the kitchen, different cooking utensils, and the lack of ingredients. Our meal consisted of breaded and fried pork, along with steamed vegetables, rice, and bruschetta. The best part was the desert however, which was chocolate chip cookies that the family loved and even fought over.
The dinner was also a goodbye gesture for our friend Maxim who left to travel through Bolivia and Argentina before heading back to his home country, Belgium. The spanish teachers and the host family also threw a party for Maxim and partied late into the night.
Today we went mountain biking behind our home here. It is a quick ride since we get bused to the top of the mountain and only have to coast to the bottom. Today is also Carnivales day where you get sprayed with spuma or water which is the white foam on our faces in one of the pictures. They also have a weird tradition of chopping down a large tree in the mountains and then propping it up in the middle of a road covered with balloons and gifts. They then dance around it and hack at it with a macheti until it falls over. They alternate hacking at the tree and the person who makes the final chop receives the gifts and is responsible for hosting the party next year and supply drinks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok so this one is going to be in English as you watched me struggle through Spanish in my last comment. I know you are busy so I am trying to refrain from individual long emails and do quick short but sweet comments...you can see how well the short part is going so far! It looks like sooooo much fun and I am so living vicariously through you two right now. I have made a good transition back into school and start my full time job tomorrow...I am just excited about the heels I get to wear! I can only imagine the blow out that you guys must have had for Maxim...all of the profesoras crying that their boyfriend was leaving! Carnivale sounds amazing and ridiculous! I am glad to see that you guys are getting the opportunity to do all of that outdoorsy stuff you dorks love...just kidding I love you both and am currently researching hiking trails in my area (I have you two to thank for that!) Ok so not short, but hopefully a little sweet! I think about you guys a lot and can't wait to hear about more adventures!

Con carino,
Vani!

Destro Jones said...

Do they have a Carnivales every week?
:)

Anonymous said...

Loved the Mountain bike shot. It is so green there. Did the rain do that? I like the flat bike ride too. That is Mom style. Keep the picks comming. They are great! I loved the family around the table.
Are those Your notes above the bed Melissa?
Love to you both!
KEEP FINDING THE ENERGY!