Saturday, January 12, 2008

We are in Cusco, Peru



Well, Melissa and I made it safely to Cusco, Peru. We arrived on Friday 11th due to some flight cancellations. Our luggage arrived with us and our host family was at the airport to pick us up. So our first day in Cusco was an eye opener. First the taxi drives are asolutely crazy and I counted a hundred times were we almost hit another car or pedestrian. By far the most dangerous thing here is crossing the street. So our host family is amazing and they have shown us around town via taxi and walking. Our first meal however was bit different I can now say I have eaten guinea pig and rabbit from their cages which is a bit disturbing. Today the host family had a birthday cake for me and sang happy birthday. Tonight they are taking us out to salsa dancing.

For now Melissa and I are going to walk to the center of town and shop for some clothes since we only brought a small amount because we wanted to be wearing local clothing at some point. We start classes this afternoon which consist of two hours of grammer and then two hours of practical were our own personal teachers take us out on the town and have us interact with the locals. Melissa and I have different teachers since she is more advanced with her spanish. SO far speaking with the family has been difficult but they speak real slow and clear for us and I seem to understand the basics of what they are talking about. I am sure in a couple of weeks I will understand more.

That is a basic summary of what has happen so far. We wil try to update this everyother day or so. I appoligize for any typos. The key board is little different and not all the keys seem to work.

3 comments:

Suzie said...

So, does guinea pig taste like chicken or pork? Have fun guys.
Chad J

Anonymous said...

Cullen, Hope your birthday dinner was a bit tastier. Maybe you should buy a them a chicken, they could use the eggs.
love Mom and big D

Destro Jones said...

Happy Birthday, Cullen!

I'm wondering you got our news in the email I sent you. :)

Love Andy & Erica