Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Fireworks and Transportation




So I posted a picture of the fireworks we saw on saturday. Which are absolutely crazy because burning embers would spray all over people. They definitely have different persective when it comes to safety. For instance the other picture is riding on the bus. There are three types of vehicles we have traveled on so far. The first is the taxis which is by far the most exhilerating thing due to multiple near collisions with people, dogs, and other cars. The other form of transportation we take often are called combis which are small vans that are overloaded with people and there is guy yelling at you to get on and off at a very fast rate. These are quite interesting to ride especially if we have to stand because they are not made for tall people. The large buses which the picture shows are much more comfortable but sometimes you do not get a seat and you have to stand for several hours. The fun thing about the buses is they go to the more remote areas where the local farmers pile in with their vegtables for the markets making the ride even more interesting. The most eye opening experience here is how the pervians tend to not worry about things for instance, Fani who has the baby twins simply rides with the babies on her lap or in the far rear of the taxi and lets the babies play and walk around as we race down windy mountain roads. I am glad everyone is enjoying the blog. Thanks for responding.

Choa,
Cullen

5 comments:

KC said...

Hi guys!

Cullen -- I can't believe you're making comments on the embers from the fireworks. I bet everyone reading this blog has been camping with you before and has witnessed the sparks fly...

Anyway, I'm so glad you all are posting these pictures. The trip looks amazing so far, and I'm sure it's only going to get better -- quireo que poder viajando con vosotros, ahora! Taking time off to travel in South America before getting settled in NV was definitely a great decision.

I have to admit, though, we miss you a ton in Colorado. We had some serious powder in Steamboat 2 weeks ago that you all would have loved... and, now that I'm on day 5 of skiing, I could certainly use some of that classic positive feedback from the Joneses that I've grown so accustom to...

Also, if I want to mail you guys something, to what address should I send it?

Abrazos!
KC

Anonymous said...

Two syllables...jealous.

Anonymous said...

Did you see if they were hiring taxi drivers at all?

Cristi said...

Melissa- I just found your blog through Julie's. What an amazing adventure you and your husband are enjoying! I'm happy to get to see photos of you and your family and read a little about your trip. I hope you don't mind if I stop by again from time to time. I look forward to following you through Peru.

Anonymous said...

Cullen and Melissa - thanks so much for your blog. We can all live vicariously through you. Although we miss you so much it's heartwarming to see you both so happy - even on the scary bus! :)

Take good care,

Linda